Monday February 8: Blank Dominoes: Mitchell ch. 2, 3, and 4
Wednesday February 10: Wooden Legos: Mitchell ch. 5, 6, and 7
Monday February 15: Percolator Tops: Apply all of readings to Green Map project
Today: Sprinkler Heads: cover Schuurman ch. 4 & 5 (Krygier notes on these chapters here)
Today: Green Map Progress
- Project format: series of maps/projects that fit together as poster, but also stand alone
- Audience: new and potential students; existing students, OWU faculty & staff, community members, kids, etc.
- Related projects: green “cards” w/info and activities
- Center map: a typical Green Map – lots of locations of stuff – one group
- Other maps: atypical Green Maps – other groups + other classes / independent studies
- focus on action, education,
- Updates on project progress: focusing topics, work groups, problems
Key topic areas (not exhaustive!)
Traditional Green Map
- businesses, activities, etc.
- important: assessment procedures for inclusion
- news: New Community Market in Delaware, OH, and Local Food & Local Matters in Columbus
- Work in Geography 360 Enviro Geography on foodsheds, loal foods, etc.
- carbon footprint of a dinner, or specific items; local global impact of specific items
- news: Passenger Trains: Passenger Trains for Delaware, OH
- data: driving on and around campus
- walkability analysis and mapping
- calories burnt walking, biking, vs driving
- alternatives: biking, walking, DATA, etc.
- where students are data: important for multiple projects
Garbage / Recycling
- analysis of garbage data; recycling data
- map garbage generated over areas of campus
- activities, events related to waste reduction
- rainwater harvesting potential
Animal and Plant “infrastructure” & ecosystems
- Campus & Delaware ecosystem maps for exploring & learning: mapping ecosystems; birds, possibly other animals/plants
- mini green trips & activities and how to get there (Geog 360)
Energy use on and around Campus
- building energy data: B & G records
- focus energy saving efforts (knowing where students are & energy data)
- heat escape imagery?
- air pollution, Health Center and county health information
GreenOWU Blog: Information from 2009-2010 work on Green projects on and around campus. Include in comprehensive plan for OWU & Delaware Green Map (print, web).