Deadline 1: Delaware’s Earth Day, April 22: table w/preliminary Green Map parts & gather feedback
Format: Series of maps (5.5″ x 8.5″, 8.5″ x 11″, 11″ x 17″) that fit together + and web site / app
- “dissected green map” – page or smaller size maps that fit together into a poster; expandable for future projects, trading card idea for promotion (“collect them all!”) on the reverse of some maps, or as smaller parts that fit into the entire layout (subdivide the 5.5″ x 8.5″)
- digital: development platform? long term maintenance?
- set up web site for “crowdsourcing” local environmental information?
Audience: how might different audiences shape the content of the map?
- Delaware community members, kids vs adults
- OWU students, faculty, staff
- potential OWU students: using green amenities to promote OWU (Admissions Office)
Please get me corrections, additions, links to your blog postings on projects ASAP
Major Green Map Components Spring 2010
1. Green Map of OWU & Delaware: centerpiece of project
Elizabeth Lambert, Alex Linde, Michelle Lee (“Green Businesses” preliminary proposal here)
- 11″ x 17″ two-sided
- side A: traditional Green Map of area
- side B: additional information, details, directory, activities
Procedures for collecting and assessing data for this kind of Green Map (initial explorations of “Green Map” earlier this semester).
2. Bird Map of OWU & Delaware
Paul Gruber, Kristin Kovach, Kristen Lear, Michelle Lee
Preliminary proposal here.
Side A: map of habitats and typical bird species (extent of coverage?)
- Important: the habitat map should be applicable to other species of animals as well as plants; determine the procedures for creating a habitat map, define the extent (how far should the map extend – all of Delaware, or campus and near campus?).
- Future projects: can add additional animals, plants to habitat map, and update habitat map if need be
Side B: bird trading cards (problem is that side A would get cut up).
- Alternative: fit cards in the many smaller spaces in the entire poster layout.
- Activities: tie to Decker Arboretum, activities for K-12 (bird education)
- PDFs of map and cards
- use interactive web site to collect information on bird sightings (crowdsourcing)
3. Walkability and Bikeability Map of OWU and Delaware
Dani Beauford, Tim Schmidt,
Content: walking vs biking vs driving times, calories vs fuel, map a series of car paths (GPS)?
Size: 11″ x 17″ (?)
Public transportation: DATA and connections to Columbus (flip side of map?)
4. Green and Black Map of OWU & Delaware
Kyle Karczynski & John Romano (?)
Content: one side: all grass, woods, etc. areas on campus and in Delaware (near campus?), with flip side a black map (gray map) of all paved areas, roof tops, and also any nasty toxic sources (EPA Toxic Release Inventory).
Size: 8.5″ x 11″ (?)
5. Utility Costs & Building Trading Cards
Bibhas Acharya, Jack Stenger,
Content: based on utilities data, calculate some appropriate data for mapping – take into account number of students using buildings, etc. Rapid assessment of energy loss in key buildings (past energy audit, new audit planned?). Building cards that stress green and not so green characteristics, plus “activities” that would help save energy in specific buildings.
Size: 11″ x 17″ (“where the students are” data on flip side?)
Projects from Geog 360 that might be part of the Green Map
- Jane Decker Arboretum (help from Michelle Lee?)
- Some Cool Green Things To Do on and Around Campus and Delaware (by a Townie, may be part of centerpiece Green Map)
- Slow Food in Central Ohio
- Central Ohio Foodshed
- Dumpster Diving at OWU and in Delaware (Kyle K)